WASHINGTON – Today, members of the Republican Study Committee (RSC), spearheaded by RSC Chairman Mike Johnson (LA-04), introduced 3 commonsense, federal workforce modernization reforms inspired by both RSC’s Government Efficiency, Accountability, and Reform (GEAR) Task Force’s report, Power, Practices, Personnel: 100+ Commonsense Solutions to Better Government, and American Worker Task Force’s report, Reclaiming the American Dream: Proposals to Empower the Workers of Today and Tomorrow. The reforms are a collaboration of two RSC Task Forces and inspired by the Trump Administration’s bold leadership to introduce common sense, private sector led best practices into the federal workforce. Conservatives are proud to lead these government modernization efforts to empower employees to better serve the American people, streamline processes to attract the best and brightest to our public service, and enhance accountability.
Legislation introduced from Power, Practices, Personnel: 100+ Commonsense Solutions to Better Government and Reclaiming the American Dream: Proposals to Empower the Workers of Today and Tomorrow
- The Federal Skills Act – introduced by Rep. Ted Budd (R, NC-13)
- This legislation would codify President Trump’s E.O. 13932, Order on Modernizing and Reforming the Assessment and Hiring of Federal Job Candidates to prioritize job-related skills in federal hiring.
- The Federal Workforce Accountability and Modernization Act – introduced by Rep. Fred Keller (R, PA-12)
- This legislation would codify President Trump’s E.O. 13957, Creating Schedule F in the Expected Service to ensure greater accountability for career employees in critical policy positions.
- The Federal Hiring Improvement Reform and Enhancement (HIRE) Act – introduced by Rep. Greg Steube (R, FL-17)
- This legislation would remove red tape when hiring federal agency personnel to address critical shortages in staffing.
"I am proud to see our members taking action to transform the Republican Study Committee proposals into meaningful legislation that will provide Americans with a more efficient, effective, and accountable federal government. We appreciate President Trump, OMB Director Vought and this administration for their bold leadership to modernize the federal employee hiring process and equip public servants to better carry out their duties on behalf of the American people. Congress owes it to the millions of Americans who fund this government to work together to get these bills passed and signed into law without delay.” said Chairman Johnson.
“The American taxpayer deserves a modern and well-organized government that works effectively on their behalf. My legislation would mirror the president’s Executive Order by creating a new classification within the federal workforce titled ‘Schedule F’ reserved for employees serving in positions considered confidential with the authority to influence public policy,” said Rep. Keller. “By enacting this legislation, we can increase accountability and transparency within federal agencies by allowing them to more efficiently remove employees who perform poorly, while also enabling those agencies to better recruit high quality candidates, and more easily reward employees who excel at their jobs.”
“Overregulating the federal government’s hiring process only leads to wasted time and taxpayer dollars. However, by giving federal agencies the authority to hire their own employees and cut through the unnecessary red tape, this legislation will promote the much-needed fiscal responsibility and efficiency at all levels of our federal government, ” said Rep. Steube.